This year-round winner makes perfect porridge for winter and a brilliant Bircher base for summer. It combines five different wholegrains (including the heirloom variety, spelt) for a nutty taste and texture.
The golden girl and her three hirsute friends were onto a good thing with porridge: it’s delicious and nutritious. Our five-grain porridge is the perfect answer to cold winter mornings (though my son eats it all year round).
Winter’s colder, darker mornings can keep us in bed longer (as our bodies try to store fat and stay warm). With less time for breakfast, some people cut corners by using quick oats to make porridge. But these products have a moderate to high GI. The energy they provide is used faster by the body than low-GI whole grains that give sustained release.
This blend of five wholegrains is a textural sensation that excites tastebuds and energises bodies from the deepest slumber. If you’re an early riser and/or exerciser, this porridge will charge your body with much-needed energy to replenish your muscles and mind.
Happily, you needn’t slave over a stove to eat properly. It’s a myth that you must cook wholegrains, as you’ll see from my Porridge recipes. As Goldilocks will attest, everyone likes their porridge a bit different. Some have it thick enough to stand a spoon. Others prefer a smoother start to the day.
Expiry: 30 Nov 2021
- 100% cereals – rolled and quick oats and rye, triticale, barley and spelt flakes.
- Low GI. This can help regulate food cravings, especially in colder months.
- Cholesterol free.
- High in vitamins B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin) and B9 (folate).
- Rich in complex carbohydrates for sustained energy.
- 9% fibre to help keep you regular.
- High in calcium.
- Negligible saturated fat.
- High in minerals (including iron, magnesium, phosphorous and zinc).
- Great source of plant-based protein.
- At just 108 calories (454 kilojoules) and $0.45 a serve, it’s perfect for hips and hip-pocket.